If there’s one thing I do in my household, it’s to repurpose my leftovers for another meal. The other day I created Sheet Pan Sausage, Mushroom and Spinach with Crispy Croutons and I had some sausages leftover. So, tonight I’m using those sausages to top off my instant pot broccoli cheese soup, which is super delicious, which add another special touch of that something scrumptiously unexpected.
Browning the sausage in the Instant Pot before I sweat my onions and garlic adds texture to leftover sausage and turns them into crispy coins to use as a topping. This cheesy broccoli soup with both cheddar and boursin cheeses takes creamy to a new level and creates a soup any family member will enjoy. It’s the perfect way to get broccoli into kids and adults that still have a hard time appreciating it. I like to serve this soup in a big bowl with some crusty bread on the side for dipping.
1 link cooked sausage, sliced into coins
1 large crown broccoli, cut into florets and coins
1 small white onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 cup Boursin cheese
1/3 cup white cheddar cheese
oil for cooking
- In an Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker, add 2 teaspoons oil and sliced sausages. Sauté for 3 minutes, or until edges are crispy. Remove and set aside.
- Add onion to pot and stir. Cook 1 minute and add garlic, salt and tomatoes, stir. Cook 2 minutes and turn off heat.
- Add broccoli and broth and stir to combine. Place lid on pot and cook for 20 minutes on high pressure.
- Release steam and remove lid and add cheeses. Puree with immersion blender or puree in batches in regular blender, until mostly smooth.
- Ladle into bowls and top with sausage coins. Enjoy!