Weeknight meals are something most of us strive to improve every time we pull out a pan to prepare dinner and this sheet pan sausage, mushroom and spinach with crispy croutons meal will definitely help in that department. It’s such a cinch to make and it’s made with good-for-you ingredients that taste super delicious when roasted together. Cooking sausages with mushrooms on a pan in a hot oven for 20 minutes is as simple as can be, but then crisping up some croutons on the same pan in the mushroom juices gives this meal a bit of personality and texture.
The sheet pan is the only cooking device you’ll need, except for an oven of course. It’s all about roasting in this recipe and layering flavors. The spinach is added last and tossed with the crispy croutons and mushrooms, right before slicing and adding the sausage back to the sheet pan for serving. I love this cooking method and the simplicity of the whole dish. I served every plate from the sheet pan, so there was no extra dishes to clean up afterwards.
1 pound sausage in casing – pork, beef or chicken
1 pound mushrooms, sliced – any variety
2 cups cubed fresh bread, sourdough or rustic loaf
4 cups baby spinach leaves
oil for cooking
salt and pepper
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon mustard
1 teaspoon granulated sugar or honey
pinch of salt and pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup fresh herbs, parsley or basil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly drizzle sheet pan with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Add sausage links and mushrooms. Sprinkle mushrooms with salt and pepper, toss to coat. Spread out evenly on pan.
- Roast for 20 minutes. Remove sausages and mushrooms with spatula and place in a bowl, cover with foil. Add bread cubes to sheet pan and toss in juices. Roast in oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove sheet pan from oven and add mushrooms back to sheet pan and toss with croutons.
- Add spinach to sheet pan and drizzle with vinaigrette, toss to combine. Slice sausages in half and place back on sheet pan.
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve. Enjoy!