This Instant Pot Creamy Pesto Chicken and Asparagus Penne is one weeknight meal that is not only easy — it’s delicious. Using leftover chicken from a previous recipe, like my Braised Chicken with Artichokes and Israeli Couscous, or rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, is the first step in making dinnertime stress free.
I love a good dump recipe, this one pot wonder is just that — add the ingredients, cook and stir. The ricotta cheese and store-bought or homemade pesto are added after cooking, for a silky creamy sauce that’s irresistible. I think this pasta recipe could be something that becomes a family favorite in no-time.
I spooned the hot pasta into bowls and topped it with fresh parsley and parmesan for a tasty finish. A good piece of rustic bread would be delightful alongside — you definitely don’t want to leave any sauce behind. Quick, simple and delightful food — dinner is served.
1 white onion, diced
2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 bunch fresh asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups cooked cubed chicken
12 ounces dried penne pasta
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup whole milk ricotta
6 ounces pesto sauce, store-bought or homemade
1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
oil for cooking
- In an electric presser cooker, add 2 teaspoons oil and onion. Sauté for 3 minutes and add dried spices.
- Add asparagus and cook for 1 minute, add garlic, stir. Add cooked chicken, pasta and chicken broth, stir.
- Cover and steam on high for 8 minutes. Release pressure immediately, stir.
- Add ricotta cheese and stir until creamy and incorporated into broth. Add pesto, stir.
- Spoon into bowls and sprinkle with parsley and parmesan. Enjoy!