A simple dinner of Braised Chicken with Artichokes and Israeli Couscous is not only satisfying, it’s easy to put together in minutes. The weekends don’t always need to be a cooking fest, yet we look forward to something that tastes like it took a little more time and comforts our souls.
Chicken breasts split horizontally cuts down on cooking time and create a meal that is fast and flavorful. Marinated artichoke hearts add acidity and a bit of character to chicken, and Israeli couscous becomes as silky as pasta, when combined and all braised in one pan. Browning chicken first leaves a fond or brown bits on the bottom of the skillet, which means flavor when chicken broth is added and the caramelization is released into the brothy juices.
Having dinner at home offers each of us time to connect and what better way than over a chicken meal like this. A good crisp white wine like a Chablis would taste great alongside this dish, or a pinot noir for the red wine lovers. Now, it’s dinnertime.
2 large boneless skinless breasts, about 1 pound
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, divided
1 shallot, minced
1 cup Israeli couscous
2 cups chicken broth
12 ounces marinated artichoke hearts, drained
1/2 of a lemon
- On a cutting board, slice chicken breasts horizontally to create 4 equal pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, onion powder, thyme, smoked paprika and pepper. Sprinkle on one side of chicken.
- In a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon butter and place over medium-high heat. When butter is melted, add chicken seasoned side down. Sprinkle remaining seasoning on top of chicken and cook for 4 minutes.
- Flip chicken over and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from pan and place on a plate.
- Add remaining butter and shallots, stir. Cook for 2 minutes. Add couscous and stir, cook for 1 minute.
- Pour broth over top and stir. Add artichokes and place chicken back in pan. Cover with lid and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook for 15 minutes. Remove lid and squeeze lemon over top. Spoon onto plates and Enjoy!