Slow cooker meals are the way to go on a busy weeknight, and these Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Tacos with Chipotle Barbecue Crema couldn’t be easier and most often, leave some leftovers to enjoy for additional meals during the week. Beautifully cooked shredded pork that’s simmered for hours in a barbecue tomato sauce couldn’t get any tastier when piled into a warm corn tortilla with a dollop of chipotle barbecue crema.
Pork shoulder is the perfect cut that creates delicious chunks of pork that pull gently with two forks after slow cooking for hours. The sauce is made with diced tomatoes, a bit of barbecue sauce and the remaining dry rub that you press over the entire pork roast. It’s simple cooking made into a delightful meal, where most of the active cooking is done by the slow cooker.
The crema is a mixture of sour cream, chipotle in adobo and a splash of barbecue sauce to create a creamy condiment that compliments the umami tasting pork. Guacamole and shredded cabbage are another addition that add crunchy and more creamy texture to a good taco — items you can easily pick up from the local grocers or prepare your own. This recipe makes a big batch, and the leftovers can be piled on top of a slider or hamburger bun on another night, or served over polenta, or pasta for a fantastic meal.
2 pound boneless pork shoulder roast
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons granulated garlic
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
14 ounce can diced tomatoes
1/3 cup barbecue sauce, any variety
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 shallot, diced
1 jalapeno, sliced in half
guacamole, homemade or store-bought
shredded cabbage with squeeze of lime and olive oil over top
limes for serving
1 cup sour cream or Mexican crema
1 tablespoon minced chipotle in adobo
1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- Remove pork from any packaging and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine cumin, salt, garlic powder, chili powder and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle two-thirds of rub over pork and press into meat.
- In a slow-cooker, add tomatoes, barbecue sauce, vinegar, shallot, jalapeno and remaining rub, stir. Add pork to pot and cover with lid.
- Cook for 6 hours on high. Remove lid and shred with two forks. Turn heat to low or simmer and leave in half to cook until ready to serve.
- In a small bowl combine all crema ingredients. Assemble tacos with pulled pork in a toasted tortilla with crema, guacamole and cabbage. Enjoy!