Summertime, summertime, ahh summertime. It’s all about being outdoors this time of the year, so almost everything you eat needs to be somewhat portable, don’t you think? Brownies are one of the best choices for desserts on the go and they must be incredibly fudgy, chewy and delectable all at once. I enjoy changing up the ingredients in my brownies on occasion, and I thought why not add a layer of spectacular fun to the top and make them taste like one of my favorite pies, pecan. Pecan pie is one of those treats that you mostly enjoy around holiday time, but it can be just as delightful during the summer months when it’s in brownie form.
Brownies should be mostly about chocolate and in this recipe, both dark chocolate chunks and good cocoa powder are in the mix to heighten the richness. There are plenty of eggs and butter too, so the batter stays with the theme of things, and has depth of flavor. The pecan pie part is what you’d expect, brown sugar, more butter and eggs and bourbon! Yes, you heard it right, bourbon for another surprising note of delightful pleasure. If you’re not a into alcohol, you can always use all vanilla extract too.
The texture is amazingly chewy in the center, but the bottom is cakey, while the top is more like a pie baked into a brownie base. The entire pan can be made ahead and refrigerated, then sliced into squares when you’re ready to roll, even if it’s just to your patio outside. They also store nicely for a few days, just in case you didn’t consume them all on one occasion.
10 tablespoons butter
2 cups dark chocolate chunks
3/4 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon bourbon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup good cocoa powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Pecan Pie Topping
1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons bourbon
5 tablespoons melted butter
3 cups chopped pecans
(Makes 12 Brownies)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 pan with oil or cooking spray and line bottom with parchment overhanging on sides.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, add butter and chocolate chunks and heat in microwave for 1 minute. Remove and stir until smooth. Whisk in brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, vanilla, and bourbon.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together salt, cocoa powder and flour. Add to chocolate mixture and stir until smooth. Pour into prepared pan and smooth out on top. Bake for 22-24 minutes, or until set.
- While brownies are baking, make pecan pie topping. In a bowl, whisk together brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, bourbon, and melted butter. Add pecans and stir to combine.
- Pour topping over top of brownies and bake for 18 minutes, or just until set. Remove and let cool completely before slicing. Enjoy!