Chicken is such a staple in most households and many of us are looking for a new way to prepare it. This Moroccan Chicken recipe is simple, satisfying and delicious. Now is the time to get out your preserved lemons — the recipe is on my blog or purchase a jar at a specialty food store and watch the flavor magic happen. The preserved lemons will add a bit of citrus that you can’t get from just a squeeze of lemon.
You can make this recipe with chicken breasts or thighs and with just a few added staple ingredients, your dinner will come to life. I like to serve Moroccan Chicken with Saffron Quinoa which is another simple recipe of mine.
2 large chicken breasts or 4-6 chicken thighs
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried coriander
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1 cup Kalamata Olives
1/2 preserved lemon
vegetable broth or chicken broth
1/2 bunch cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a small bowl mix together all dry spices. Remove chicken from packaging and pat dry.
2. Sprinkle chicken generously with the spices on both sides.
3. Next, add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to a cast iron skillet or oven proof pan and place it over high heat.
4. When pan is lightly smoking, add chicken skin side down. After 4 minutes, flip chicken over and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
5. Cut your tomatoes in half, set aside.
6. Place chicken in oven to finish cooking for 20 – 25 minutes, until it reaches 165 degrees.
7. Roughly chop olives and preserved lemon. Prepare Saffron Quinoa or rice.
8. Remove chicken from oven and place chicken on a plate.
9. Cover plate with foil to keep chicken warm, while you prepare sauce.
10. Using same skillet, turn heat to medium and add tomatoes.
11. Pour 1/2 vegetable stock into pan and simmer for 3 minutes.
12. Add olives and preserved lemon to sauce and stir to combine. Continue cooking sauce for 3 more minutes, or until reduced by half.
13. Place chicken on top of sauce with juices.
14. Cook chicken in sauce for 4 minutes and chop fresh cilantro.
15. Sprinkle chicken and sauce with cilantro. Plate chicken with a scoop of Saffron Quinoa or rice. Enjoy!