Even though we are inching closer to spring, the weather still dictates comfort food and this Creamy Charred Tomato and Salami Gnocchi is so cozy you won’t help but love it. I used fresh store-bought gnocchi in this recipe to cut down on cooking time and there are so many types to choose from nowadays. Whether you buy gnocchi from the refrigerated section of your local grocer or shelf-stable brands, you can transform it into one of the most delightful meals in minutes.
The recipe begins by charring cherry tomatoes in a skillet on the stove top until the skins burst and julienned salami is added until the edges are slightly crispy, but not overly tan. The combination of tomatoes and salami become the sauce of the dish, before the quickly boiled fluffy gnocchi are added and bring it all together. I added a bit of Calabrian chili paste to the recipe for just a touch of heat and a splash of cream and parmesan cheese for creaminess and a smooth finish.
I like to serve it straight from the pan and this recipe serves two, but you can double it up and serve four or more with no problem. Maybe a slice of crusty bread for soaking into the bottom of skillet to mop up all the remaining sauce is a good idea. It’s true comfort food that tastes so terrific and it will warm you up in no time.
8 ounces store-bought gnocchi, about 1/2 pound
1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half if on the larger side
10 slices salami, julienned
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon Calabrian chili paste, or 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
olive oil for cooking
1/4 cup fresh parsley or basil, roughly chopped
- Boil water for gnocchi. Don’t cook until sauce is mostly made.
- In a small skillet, add 2 teaspoon olive oil and tomatoes. Cook over high heat until cherry tomatoes are slightly charred, about 4 minutes. Add salami and cook for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add garlic, chili paste, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, stir. Cook for 2 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Add 1 tablespoon salt to boiling water and add gnocchi. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until floating.
- Strain gnocchi into sauce and stir. Add cream and Parmesan, stir. Turn off heat. Sprinkle with parsley or basil. Enjoy!