I’m always looking for an easy meal that tastes delicious and my Creamy Tomato Mushroom Chicken hits all the high notes. It’s a quick savory skillet meal that’s perfect on a cold night when you’re craving something tasty.
It starts with dicing boneless chicken breasts that you sear in a pan with mushrooms, onions and a touch of garlic. The seasonings are simple – salt, pepper and some freshly shredded ginger, highlight the chicken and vegetables beautifully. A can of crushed tomatoes make the sauce and a touch of cream or coconut milk is added to finish it off and make it silky smooth.
I serve it over hot rice, but quinoa would be lovely too. It’s one easy dinner that satisfies the pickiest of eaters.
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, large dice
8 ounces button or crimini mushrooms, sliced
1/2 red onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
14 ounce can crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup heavy cream or full fat coconut milk
salt and pepper
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
hot rice for serving, optional
- In a large non-stick pan over medium heat add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add chicken and stir. Season with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, stir. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, onions and garlic, stir. Continue to cook for 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, stir. Place lid over top and turn heat to low. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and add cream or coconut milk, stir. Cook for 5 minutes and sprinkle with parsley.
- Spoon into bowls over hot rice and serve with green beans, if desired. Enjoy!