Orange chicken is one of the most popular dishes out there, and my version — Skillet Orange Chicken Thighs and Broccoli — has similar flavors, yet it’s not deep fried or dredged in flour, just sauteed in a skillet with a citrusy glaze. The spring-like flavors will send your palate to a happy place and make this recipe a new addition to your weekly repertoire.
Chicken thighs are my favorite piece of chicken because they are juicy and tender and stay that way after cooking. They just so happen to be quite economical too. Using an iron skillet is a good way to get a natural crust on the skin, which creates flavor. The orange glaze is a simple mix in a measuring cup with fresh orange juice and zest for a powerful citrusy punch. I love the simplicity of this dish – it’s easy, yet tastes restaurant worthy.
I prefer to serve it straight from the skillet with a scoop of hot rice alongside. The freshness is incredible and the ease of this recipe is perfect for during the week. It would also make a classic weekend meal for entertaining friends.
6 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups broccoli florets
2 scallions, sliced
hot rice for serving
oil for cooking
juice and zest of 1 orange
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 clove garlic, minced
pinch of red pepper flakes
- Whisk all ingredients of orange sauce and set aside.
- Remove chicken from packaging and pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle chicken with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Add 1 teaspoon neutral oil to an iron skillet and place over medium-high heat. After 3 minutes, add chicken skin-side-down into pan. Sear for 4 minutes and flip over.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking chicken for 14 minutes. Cover with lid half way through cooking.
- Add broccoli around chicken and pour orange sauce over top. Cover with lid for 3 minutes to steam broccoli. Spoon sauce from underneath over top of chicken and broccoli.
- Sprinkle with scallions and serve immediately with rice. Enjoy!