Eggnog, a favorite holiday drink that is sometimes spiked with rum and can be enjoyed during Christmastime, or any other special occasion. It’s lovely to sip on in front of an open-fire, but eggnog is also nice in baked goods like cakes, cookies and cream pies. I have an Eggnog Cheesecake Recipe on my blog that is fabulous and I hope you will give it a try this holiday season, but today it’s all about pound cake – gluten-free pound cake.
Gluten-free baking is just as simple as regular baking, but the ingredients are slightly different. For starters, choose a good quality gluten-free flour like; King Arthur or Cup 4 Cup, which are both sold at local grocery stores. The other item that is a must in gluten-free baking is xanthan gum. Xanthan gum is a stabilizer that helps bind gluten-free batter, so it holds together and creates a delicious texture – you can find it at most finer grocery stores, but definitely online.
The texture in this cake is out of this world – moist with a soft crumb, but with holiday flavors that will take you directly to the North Pole after just one bite. You’ll love this recipe whether you are gluten intolerant or not – it’s the perfect cake to share with loved ones. Happy Holidays!
1 2/3 cups gluten-free flour
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup eggnog
2 tablespoons white rum, optional
1 stick melted butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon eggnog
(Makes 1 Loaf Cake)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray or brush a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with oil. In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt. Set aside.
2. In a stand mixer, add sugar and eggs, mix on low speed for 2 minutes. Add eggnog and rum, mix on medium speed for 1 minute. Add dry ingredients and mix on low for another minute.
3. While mixer is running, pour in melted butter and continue to mix for another 2 minutes.
4. Pour batter in prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes, then drop temperature to 325 degrees and bake for another 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes clean. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 20 minutes. Loosen perimeter of cake with a table knife and invert. Place cake on a wire rack with a sheet pan underneath. Let cool for another 30 minutes.
5. In a bowl, sift powdered sugar and add eggnog. Whisk glaze until smooth. Pour over top of pound cake and let set for 30 minutes. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve or slice immediately. Enjoy!