Cheesecake has been a family favorite for festive parties and holiday gatherings for years and Eggnog Cheesecake with Rum Whipped Cream is super special at Christmastime. Cheesecake is the perfect dessert for holiday parties because you can make it a few days ahead, and serve it when your guests arrive. I think you will love the warming flavors of nutmeg, ginger and of course, rum. You probably will need to make two because it will be gone in no time! Happy Holidays!
1 box of ginger snaps, store brand is fine
3 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons butter, melted
3 – 8 ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
1 – 8 ounce light cream cheese, (not fat-free) room temperature
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
3 eggs, room temperature
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup eggnog
2 tablespoons rum, dark preferably
1 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons rum dark preferably
(Makes 1 Cheesecake)
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In a food processor add the ginger snaps, sugar and melted butter,
2. Pulse the mixture until fine crumbs.
3. Dump the entire mixture into a 9-inch Springform pan that has been wrapped in heavy foil. Press the crumbs down and up the sides, almost to the top of pan with a measuring cup.
4. Bake the crust for 10 minutes in the oven until set. Remove the pan from the oven and let cool while making the filling.
5. In a stand mixer or large bowl, blend on medium speed the cream cheeses with the sugar. Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl after a few minutes.
6. Add the eggs one at a time to the cream cheese mixture and continue to mix on medium speed.
7. Next, add the flour and salt to the cream cheese and continue to mix until smooth.
7. Pour the eggnog into the cream cheese mixture and continue to mix until combined.
8. Add the rum and nutmeg to the cream cheese mixture and mix until smooth.
9. Pour the filling into the crust and place the Springform pan into an ovenproof pan that has enough room to fill with water.
10. Pour hot water around the cheesecake to create a water bath. Fill half way up the Springform pan sides.
11. Bake the cheesecake for 50 minutes or until the edges are firm and the middle has a slight jiggle. Remove the cheesecake from the oven and let it cool for 20 minutes, then remove it from the water bath. Continue to cool the cheesecake to room temperature for 2 hours. Refrigerate the cheesecake for at least 4 hours or up to 3 days.
12. When ready to serve, whip the heavy cream, powdered sugar and rum together in a bowl until the mixture has soft peaks.
13. Remove the cheesecake from the refrigerator and unlock the ring and lift. Cut the cheesecake and place the slices on your favorite holiday plates. Dollop each slice with the whipped cream and serve. Enjoy!