Easy pasta meals are perfect for weeknight’s when you still want to enjoy the outdoors until sunset and this creamy pesto crab pappardelle is so fast and delicious — you won’t believe it. Dried thick-cut pasta noodles make a great base for my creamy pesto crab sauce with hints of lemon and luscious burrata. It will make you feel like you’re in the south of Italy dining in your favorite al fresco café.
My creamy pesto crab sauce is made with just that – pesto (homemade or store-bought) and half & half. Lemon zest and some shallots compliment the flavors in this sauce, which clings beautifully to cooked pappardelle. I chose pappardelle noodles because there’s is so much chew and more to hold on to – something this delicate sauce admires. The whole dish is made in less than 20 minutes, so make sure you set the outdoor table ahead of time because dinner is served.
12 ounces dried pappardelle pasta, or other wide cut noodle
1 shallot, sliced
2/3 cup pesto sauce, homemade or store-bought
1/2 cup half & half
1/2 pound fresh or freshly canned pasteurized crab
zest of 1/2 lemon
1 ball burrata cheese
3 mint sprigs
olive oil for cooking
salt and pepper
- Boil pappardelle in salted water for 10 minutes, while making sauce.
- In a large sauté pan, add 2 teaspoons olive oil and place over medium heat. Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, stir.
- Add pesto and half & half, stir. Cook for 2 minutes while stirring to combine. Add crab and reduce heat to low and continue to cook for 3 minutes, until slightly reduced. Add lemon zest and stir.
- Spoon cooked pappardelle into sauce, along with 1/2 cup pasta water. Toss to coat pasta with sauce. Salt and pepper as needed.
- Spoon into bowls and top with shredded burrata and mint leaves. Enjoy!