A good sauce can be so pleasing in any recipe, but especially when you add a special splash of something that creates a delicious note of additional flavor. I’m all about the sauce and in fact, I think that in many cases, the sauce matters more than the protein because it’s what people remember the most. In this recipe, a lightly creamy sauce with a hint of brandy sweetens the deal, and transforms a typical chicken dinner into one extraordinary, yet simple, plate of food.
Chicken and mushrooms posted here on my blog is a recipe that I created many many years ago and it’s still one of my favorite dishes. It’s a staple in my house because it’s easy to make, yet tastes restaurant quality. This new recipe is delightful too, but in a bit of a different way because the sauce is made creamier by adding a bit of cream cheese, and a handful of parmesan cheese. I also used boneless skinless chicken breasts because they cut down on cooking time. As far as mushrooms go, I used baby bella, but crimini or button mushrooms will work beautifully too.
I enjoy making this meal on the weekends because it looks a little fancier than weeknight food, but by all means it’s as fast as making chili or burgers and can be made any day of the week. If you’re worried about the alcohol with the little ones — most of it cooks out, but you could use all chicken broth — the sauce just might not have all the niceties that brandy can bring.
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 5 ounces each
12 ounces mushrooms, sliced – any variety
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup brandy, pick your favorite
4 ounces room temperature cream cheese
1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
salt & pepper
1 tablespoon butter, divided
olive oil for cooking
fresh parsley for garnish, optional
hot steamed rice for serving
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1/2 tablespoon butter and 2 teaspoons olive oil. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. After 2 minutes, add chicken to skillet and cook on first side for 4 minutes. Flip over and cook other side for 4 minutes. Remove from skillet and place on plate.
- In same skillet, add mushrooms and stir. Cook for 3 minutes, add garlic. Continue to cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth and brandy, stir. Add cream cheese and parmesan to skillet, break apart with spoon. Using a whisk, stir until creamy consistency to remove any lumps.
- Place chicken back in pan and cook for 8 minutes. Spoon sauce and mushrooms over chicken while cooking.
- Spoon hot rice on plates, along with chicken breast, mushrooms and a big ladle of sauce. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired. Enjoy!