I am always looking for something new to do with chicken and I don’t want it to be too complicated, especially for weeknight meals. This recipe – Seared Chicken with Mushroom Pan Sauce is just that, deliciously simple. With just a few ingredients and a short amount of time, you can prepare this recipe any day of the week.
What makes this recipe better than your average chicken recipe is the intense flavor you get from the mushrooms and sauce. If you don’t like cooking chicken breasts with bones you can use boneless, just decrease the cooking time by a few minutes. Give this a try and you will see how flavorful weeknights can be……
2-4 chicken breasts, split
2 cups Shiitake mushrooms, or any variety
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves. sliced or torn
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Clean and pat dry your chicken breasts. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper on both sides.
2. In a medium oven-proof saute pan, place 1 tablespoon butter and a drizzle of olive oil. Heat the butter/oil for 2 minutes. Add the chicken breasts to the pan skin side down and sear for 4 minutes.
3. Next, wipe your mushrooms with a damp paper towel and dice the scallions.
4. Flip the chicken breast over in the pan and place them in the oven to continue cooking for 22 minutes (less time if using boneless chicken).
5. Remove the pan from the oven and place the chicken breasts on a plate and cover with foil while you make the sauce.
6. Add the mushrooms and scallions to the pan with the juices from the chicken and saute over medium high heat for 3 minutes.
7. Next, add the chicken broth to the pan and continue to cook for 4 minutes or until the liquid has reduced slightly.
8. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and stir to incorporate into the sauce.
9. Continue to cook the sauce for 1 more minute or until slightly thickened and creamy.
10. Place the chicken on a plate over rice or potatoes and spoon a large portion of the sauce over the chicken. Sprinkle the chicken with fresh basil.
[…] What makes Cauliflower Puree a great side dish is that is has tons of flavor and you can add other ingredients to the puree to compliment any dish. In this recipe, I use Greek yogurt to add creaminess, but you can omit it if you are lactose intolerant. Fresh herbs, cheese or dried powders like curry make great add-ins as well. This recipe is delicious and pairs well with my Turkey Meatloaf or Chicken with Mushroom Pan Sauce Recipe. […]