I love cake and this recipe for Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake just gives me a good excuse to enjoy it before noon.
Coffee cake is something that sounds so good on a weekend morning and this recipe couldn’t be simpler. I got it from New York Times Food Section, however I made some changes because I didn’t have poppyseeds, and I love cinnamon — so I omitted one and added the other. I know that might be a stretch for a swap, but it works beautifully in this coffee cake recipe.
What makes this coffee cake different is that you pile fresh blueberries on top, instead of folding them into the batter before baking. The blueberries are tossed with sugar and flour before finding a safe spot on the cake, and a slightly concave center helps hold them in place. The crumb is soft and tender because sour cream adds the right acidity and balance to the batter. I enjoy a big slice with my coffee and the leftovers can be eaten for mornings to come – if there are any left.
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large egg
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/4 cup sugar + 1 tablespoon
2 teaspoons flour
1/3 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons milk
(Makes 9-inch Cake)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour pan 9-inch springform pan or spray with baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In a stand mixer, cream together sugar and butter for 3 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl and add egg. Continue to mix for 1 minute.
- Alternative adding dry ingredients with sour cream in thirds to butter mixture.
- Spoon into prepared pan and make a slight concave center in middle with spatula.
- In a medium bowl, add blueberries, sugar and flour, toss with fingertips. Spread on top of center of cake, adding all remaining sugar and flour.
- Bake in oven for 45-55 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 1 hour. Mix glaze and drizzle over cake. Remove ring before serving. Enjoy!