I love a one skillet meal, especially when it’s made with ingredients that are not only healthy, but tasty too. Seared and braised chicken thighs nestled among nutty quinoa, cherry tomatoes and broccoli florets are so delicious, and very unassuming on your dinner plate. The combination of umami flavors excite even the pickiest of palates and make a super easy meal.
I enjoy a effortless dinner that is so simple, it almost seems untrue — and this one is fast, fresh and fabulous. Chicken thighs without any bones or skin, sear in seconds and when braised in chicken broth on top of white quinoa, a handful of sliced cherry tomatoes and some broccoli florets, come to life with quick elegance. One trick to tasty chicken is to season it liberally, which means – salt, pepper, onion powder and oregano flakes — don’t be shy. All of these things are probably in your pantry waiting for an invitation, so go get them and put them to good use. The other items like chicken, cherry tomatoes and broccoli are easy things to pick up from the store. This one-skillet meal is done in less than 30 minutes – a superb dinner after a busy day.
1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, about 4-6
2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano flakes
1 small white onion, diced
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup white quinoa
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
1/4 cups fresh soft herbs (basil, parsley or cilantro), roughly chopped
oil for cooking
- Remove chicken from packaging and pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle chicken with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, pepper, onion powder and oregano on both sides.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, add 2 teaspoons olive oil. After 2 minutes, add chicken and sear on each side for 3 minutes. Remove and place on a plate.
- In the same pan with all the juices, reduce heat to medium and add onion, stir. Cook for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add quinoa, broth and remaining 1 teaspoon salt, stir. Place seared chicken thighs and all juices into pan, nestle with other ingredients. Reduce heat to low and cover with lid.
- Cook for 15 minutes and remove lid. Add broccoli and cover with lid. Cook for 3 minutes, remove lid. Continue to cook for 2 minutes to reduce liquid slightly.
- Spoon into bowls or plates and sprinkle with herbs. Enjoy!