One skillet meals during the week make all the sense in the world, especially when they taste as divine as my Braised Chicken and Peppers with Lemon Ricotta. This simple one-pan dinner reminds me of my favorite Italian trattoria serving up crispy chicken that’s cooked in a bubbling broth of sweet peppers and shallots. The creamy citrus ricotta on top adds an additional note of enrichment to this recipe and completes this incredible meal.
What I truly love about this dish is that it is so simple and it’s made with ingredients that are easy to find. Chicken thighs are my protein of choice because they are succulent, juicy and very cost effective. If dark meat isn’t your bag, you can substitute chicken breasts — just reduce your braising time. The combination of savory and sweet make this meal so memorable and because it’s easy — you will probably be making it over and over again.
4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, about 1 pound
2 shallots, sliced
1 red or orange bell pepper, sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 cups chicken stock or broth
1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
zest of lemon + slices of lemon for serving
salt and pepper
3 scallions, sliced
oil for cooking
- Remove chicken thighs from packaging and pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon oil and place over medium-high heat. After 2 minutes, add chicken.
- Cook until golden brown on first side, about 4 minutes. Flip over and repeat on second side. Remove and place on a plate.
- In same skillet, add shallots and cook for 3 minutes. Add peppers and stir. Add oregano, red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, stir. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add broth over top and place seared chicken on top of peppers. Reduce heat and cover with lid. Cook for 10 minutes.
- While chicken is braising, add ricotta, lemon zest and a pinch of salt to small bowl, stir.
- Remove lid from skillet and sprinkle chicken with scallions. Spoon into bowls and ladle with brothy peppers and shallots. Top with a dollop of ricotta and serve with lemon slice. Enjoy!