Tempeh is a fermented soy based vegan protein that can be sauteed, steamed, grilled or baked into some of the most delicious recipes. My Toasted Tempeh, Sweet Potato and Spinach Curry is packed with good for you ingredients and super quick and easy for a delicious weeknight meal.
Tempeh is available at most grocers in the vegan refrigerated section and with all the buzz about fermented foods — you should try it for good gut-health. It’s hardier than tofu and can be sold plain or with seasonings like buffalo, grainy, or smoked to name a few. I chose a grainy tempeh that I cubed into large chunks and toasted over medium heat in a skillet. I then added, onions and seasonings to the pan – curry powder, salt and red pepper flakes – along with diced sweet potatoes. Coconut milk was the silky substance that helped create this golden sauce, and after a few minutes of steaming, I added baby spinach leaves over top to wilt gently until combined.
This vegan dinner is one that I think anyone will enjoy and it’s a good way to introduce yourself to more meatless meals during the week. Don’t shy away from trying new recipes using tempeh because it’s a dish that’s both tasty and healthful — it’s a good place to start.
8 ounces tempeh, cut into chunks
1 white onion, diced
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and large dice
14 ounce can coconut milk
3 cups baby spinach
1/3 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
1 lime, cut in half
oil for cooking
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil and after 2 minutes, add cubed tempeh.
- Toss in oil to toast all sides, and then add onion. Sauté for 2 minutes and in a small bowl, combine curry powder, salt and red pepper flakes.
- Add seasoning to pan and stir. Add sweet potatoes and coconut milk, stir. Cover with lid and reduce heat to low. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Add spinach to top of pan and stir gently until wilted, stir. Add all, but 1 tablespoon cilantro and stir. Squeeze half of a lime over top and turn off heat.
- Ladle into bowls and top with a sprinkling of cilantro and a lime wedge. Enjoy!