Tis’ the season to bake with pumpkin, one of my favorite past times. I love pumpkin in all forms – sweet & savory, but especially in baked goods. Many baked treats have a lot of sugar and are not always the best for you, but this recipe has less sugar and I used almond flour, instead of all purpose white flour.
Almond flour has great depth of flavor and adds texture to these Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins. If you are a pumpkin lover like I am, you must give this recipe a try. These muffins make the perfect dessert for Halloween or Thanksgiving.
1 1/2 cups almond flour, or make your own by processing blanched almonds
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves
2 tablespoon butter + more for muffin tin, room temperature
2/3 cup organic sugar + 1 tablespoon
2 extra large eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Butter your favorite muffin tin.
2. In a small bowl, combine cream cheese and 1 tablespoon sugar. Set this aside until ready to use.
3. In a stand mixer or large bowl, mix together almond flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves.
4. In another small bowl combine the 2/3 cup sugar and softened butter together. Add the butter mixture to the dry ingredients and mix for 2 minutes until combined.
5. Next, add the eggs and pumpkin to the mixture and blend together until mostly smooth, but do not over mix.
6. Scoop batter into each muffin cup to reach 2/3 full.
7. Dollop 1 teaspoon of cream cheese mixture into the center of each muffin cup.
8. Spoon a teaspoon of batter over each dollop of cream cheese to cover.
9. Place the muffin tin in the oven to bake for 23- 30 minutes until lightly golden brown around edges.
10. Remove the muffins from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
11. Remove the muffins from the tin and cool on a wire rack for 10 more minutes before serving or cool to room temperature before wrapping to store.
12. Serve the muffins on your favorite plate and enjoy!