People ask me what I eat for lunch, especially since I’m cooking and busy in the day creating new posts. Well, I love protein tortillas filled with all sorts of things, but especially baby spinach and hot sauce. I know that doesn’t sound fancy, but it’s what I love to eat, and yesterday I created this Roasted Squash, Goat Cheese and Spinach Quesadilla with Smoky Avocado Mash because I needed something a little hardier to get me through until later that evening. Using roasted squash leftovers turns a pretty basic quesadilla into something special and goat cheese, when it’s melted with spinach and winter squash, gets creamier and more aromatic.
There are so many tortillas to choose from these days, but some of my favorites are the ones with higher fiber and more protein. I look for brands that use less additives, and create a product that can hold up to toasting on the stove top or tossed in a skillet. I loaded a spinach tortilla with roasted acorn squash, flecks of goat cheese and a big handful of spinach, before I folded it in half and cooked it gently. Flipping can be a bit challenging, but with the right spatula in your hand, it’s manageable. The avocado mash is just that – an avocado mashed with smoked paprika and salt. It’s pretty simple stuff that tops off this beautiful quesadilla and makes you feel so good after you’ve eaten.
1 large spinach tortilla, or any variety
1/2 cup roasted squash, any variety
2 ounces fresh goat cheese
1 cup baby spinach leaves
oil for cooking
1 small avocado
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt + more for quesadilla
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil. Add tortilla and layer in squash on one side.
- Top squash with goat cheese and then spinach. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and fold in half.
- Cover with lid and cook for 3-4 minutes, adjust heat if cooking too fast. *Make sure the filling is melting before you flip.
- While quesadilla is cooking, mash avocado in a bowl with paprika and salt, set aside.
- Flip and cook for 3-4 minutes on other side. Remove and slice in half and then in wedges. Top with avocado mash and hot sauce. Enjoy!