Most of us have tried making Roasted Butternut Squash Soup or at least have eaten it at a restaurant or from a carton or can from the grocery store. The thick orange puree is comforting and slightly sweet, but its flavors are still on the savory side. I like to change it up on occasion and prepare it in different ways by adding spices, leaving it chunky or adding nut milks to the soup.
This Roasted Butternut Squash & Onion Soup recipe is different in texture and taste because the squash is left in whole chunks and prepared in a bubbling warm broth. Also, with the addition of sauteed onions, the soup has a unique taste – reminiscent of French onion soup, but with added veggies and much lighter.
I love to prepare this soup and serve it for dinner with the expectations of having leftovers for lunch. It stores nicely in the refrigerator and pairs perfectly with a winter green salad or crusty French roll. I think you will just love it!
1 butternut squash, peeled and diced into bite-sized pieces
1 onion, sliced
2 sprigs fresh marjoram or thyme
3 tablespoons butter
1 quart chicken broth
1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the diced squash and sliced onion on a sheet pan and drizzle it with olive oil. Sprinkle the vegetables with salt and pepper and place the sheet pan in the oven to roast for 50 minutes.
2. Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
3. Tie the marjoram or thyme with kitchen string and place the butter into a stockpot over medium heat.
4. Place the herbs in the pan and cook on low for 4 minutes, or until the butter is golden brown.
5. Next, add the roasted vegetables to the pan and stir while continuing to cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
6. Add the chicken broth to the stockpot and stir.
7. Cover the stockpot with a lid slightly cracked and turn down the heat to simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
8. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Remove the tied marjoram from the soup.
10. Ladle the soup into bowls or cool before placing it in a container. Sprinkle each bowl with parmesan cheese and serve. Enjoy!