French Toast is a delicious brunch or breakfast dish most often prepared with egg bread. However, using day-old croissants, makes this treat even more decadent and gives the French Toast an airy lift. You can purchase croissants in almost every grocery store and and let’s face it – most of them are not so tasty. So, heighten these French knock-offs and turn them into a delightful dish.
Creating a flavorful egg custard is the key to good French Toast. The eggs and cream are enhanced by vanilla and dried spices like cinnamon to give the custard a hint of the season. Also, vanilla paste – a lightly sweetened bean syrup – adds to the vanilla taste and can be found online or in specialty cooking stores, but you can use vanilla extract as well.
The Blueberry Honey Syrup is the icing on the cake, so to speak and can be created with fresh or frozen blueberries. This Croissant French Toast brings out the breakfast lover in all of us and it can be served at dinnertime too!
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
2 heaping tablespoons honey, organic
1/3 cup cream
2 teaspoons vanilla paste or vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1. In a small saucepan add the blueberries and honey. Pour in 2/3 cup of water and heat the mixture over medium-high heat until boiling. Let simmer for 8 minutes, or until reduced by half and slightly thickened.
2. Slice the croissants in half and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, add the eggs and cream and whisk until combined. Pour in the vanilla paste and cinnamon, whisk again until incorporated.
4. Dunk the croissants in the egg mixture for 1 minute on each side, to allow the bread to absorb the rich cream mixture.
5. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium heat and place the croissant cut-side down. Cook each croissant for 3 minutes until lightly golden brown, flip and cook the other side for 2 minutes.
6. Remove the Croissant French Toast from the pan and place on a plate. Drizzle the Blueberry Honey Syrup over the top and sprinkle with powdered sugar and top with a dollop of mascarpone cream. Enjoy!