Salad season is upon us, as if it really ever went away, which means fresher combinations of vegetables and lighter proteins to satisfy our hunger during spring and summer. Salmon is a great option in salads because of its mild taste and it pairs nicely with other ingredients, and adding seasonal vegetables alongside like sugar snap peas, scallions and a bit of basil offers a greenness that turns it into a delightful meal.
Brown rice pasta is one of my favorites to use in salads because it adds a firmer texture and nutty flavor that really perk up the palate and holds up to any raw vegetable. In this salad, I added the same amount of vegetables to pasta to keep the carbs low and balance out every bite. As far as the vinaigrette, it’s tangy and refreshing – reminiscent of your favorite bistro salad dressing, but with a hint of mustard.
This salad is always good at any meal – lunch, dinner, or special occasions. You can serve it cold out of the refrigerator or just above room temperature as a main course, or alongside other side dishes.
1 1/2 cup brown rice pasta, cooked and drained
2 cups sugar snap peas
2 scallions or spring onions
5 leaves fresh basil
8 ounces fresh salmon
3 lemon slices
2 sprigs fresh parsley
1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon agave nectar or honey
juice of 1/2 a lemon
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
pinch of salt & pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
1. Slice sugar snap peas into thirds, slice scallions thinly and rough chop basil, set aside.
2. In a saute pan, add salmon, lemon slices and parsley. Fill pan with water 1/4 of way up sides. Place over low heat and cover with lid. Poach salmon for 8 minutes, remove and let cool. Flake salmon with a fork into large pieces.
3. Place all vinaigrette ingredients into a jar with fitted lid. Shake vigorously, until well blended. Pour 1/4 cup of vinaigrette into a large salad bowl. Add sugar snap peas, scallions and basil, toss to coat.
4. Add cooked brown rice pasta, and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of vinaigrette. Toss to combine flavors.
5. Place salmon on top of salad and toss gently. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of vinaigrette. Serve or chill in refrigerator. Enjoy!