Time to pull out those preserved lemons we made a month ago, and fold them into this delicious loaf cake. Preserved lemons have an intense citrusy flavor that bumps up the lemon goodness in so many recipes, but especially in baking. This tangy taste holds up to hearty spelt or whole wheat flour, like in this recipe, giving it the right balance of flavor.
I love using spelt flour because it is an ancient grain and adds a richness without overpowering baked goods. For those of you with gluten sensitivities, this might be a better option because it is less processed than tradition wheat flour, and is a different wheat grain altogether. You can find spelt flour at most higher end grocery stores or online.
I baked this loaf cake in a loaf pan, but you can always use a 8-inch springform pan for a circular shape. Preserved Lemon, Poppy Seed & Spelt Loaf Cake is delicious with your favorite cup of tea, or sliced and served for dessert at the end of a great meal.
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar + plus more for top of cake
2/3 cup spelt flour or whole wheat flour
1/3 cup almond meal
1/3 cup all purpose flour + more for pan
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks, cold, but pliable butter
1/2 preserved lemon or 3 tablespoons lemon juice + zest of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
(Makes 1 Loaf)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9×5 loaf pan or 8-inch springform pan.
2. In a stand mixer or large bowl, add sugar, flours, almond meal, baking powder and salt. Mix on low speed for 1 minute. Add butter in pieces and mix on low, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Remove half a preserved lemon from jar and chop it finely, (or if using lemon juice and zest), add it to the flour mixture. Add poppy seeds and mix on medium speed for 1 minute to combine.
5. Spoon batter into prepared pan and smooth it out evenly. Sprinkle top with sugar.
6. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or when toothpick comes out cleanly. Remove cake from oven and let cool for 30 minutes. Use a butter knife, loosen cake around the edges and let cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Slice and serve cake with a beverage of choice. Enjoy!