If you are a grilled cheese lover, then Croque Monsieur is right up your alley. These French sandwiches are a personal favorite and make a nice meal on the weekends, when you have a little more time on your hands. These sandwiches take ham and cheese to an ooey gooey cheesy place with the addition of white sauce on top.
These warm sandwiches are made with a Bechamel Sauce layered with ham and swiss cheese and baked in the oven. In this recipe, I used prosciutto instead of French ham because I love the salty flavor, but you can use any ham of choice to create a mouth watering meal.
I like to serve these for brunch or a late lunch with mixed greens, and a glass of dry white wine or champagne. Sound good?
4 slices country or sourdough bread
1/4 pound prosciutto or ham
1/2 pound greyere cheese, shredded
2 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoon butter + more for spreading on bread
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare bechamel sauce by adding 2 tablespoons butter and flour to a saucepan, and heat over medium heat. Whisk together to form a paste.
2. Add milk to butter/flour paste as well as a pinch of salt, pepper and nutmeg. Continue to whisk mixture until it thickens, about 4 minutes.
3. Set bechamel on simmer and butter bread on one side and place in the oven to toast lightly for 6 minutes. Remove bread from oven and spread with bechamel sauce.
4. Layer prosciutto and cheese on top of bread.
5. Top sandwich with other slide of bread and spread a thick layer of bechamel on top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
6. Place sandwich back in oven for 6 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly. Turn oven to broil for last 2 minutes to get sandwich lightly golden. Slice sandwich into 3-inch pieces and Enjoy!