Pesto Fried Egg Toasts are a quick and easy breakfast any day of the week. Homemade or store-bought pesto slathered over sourdough toast and topped with a perfectly cooked fried egg makes mornings so delicious. I have a great pesto recipe that you can whip together in no time, but there are several store-bought varieties that taste pretty good. Making breakfast is much less complicated when you have fresh ingredients already in your refrigerator.
Just toast up some rustic bread and spread with butter. Dollop the toasts with fresh pesto. In the meantime, add some eggs to a skillet with butter and cook for 2 minutes. Add a bit of water to the pan and cover for 1 minute, just until the yolks are slightly white, but still jiggly for a slightly runny consistency. Place the eggs on top of the pesto toast and season with some salt and pepper. Slit the egg yolk gently to ooze over the sides – yum!
4 large slices rustic or sourdough bread
2 tablespoons butter, divided
1/2 cup pesto sauce
8 large eggs
salt & pepper
fresh herbs, optional
- Toast bread in toaster or under broiler for a few minutes, until deep golden brown.
- Spread each toast with 1/2 teaspoon butter and 1 heaping tablespoon of pesto.
- Add remaining tablespoon of butter to large non-stick skillet over medium heat, after melted — crack eggs into skillet. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup water to pan and cover for 1 minute. Remove lid and turn off heat.
- Place eggs on top of toasts and sprinkle with salt and pepper, and fresh herbs if desired. Enjoy!