Summertime baking sometimes seems less-fun because who wants to get sweaty in the kitchen when it’s hot outside? However, no-bake desserts can fill our hearts with immediate joy because they give us that same delicious satisfaction of regular baked treats, yet are much cooler to put together. This no-bake blueberry cream cheese pie with pretzel crust with its luscious blueberry sauce and fluffy cream pie filling, and salty crunchy bottom is lusciously tasty with no oven time.
No-bake desserts like this one start by making a easy fruity filling first on the stove top, then a crust in a food processor. The pretzels whiz up quickly with sugar and butter and are pressed into the bottom of a pie pan. I freeze the crust, instead of baking it, so it holds together and the creamy filling can be spooned inside. Cream cheese and heavy cream make up that filling, which remains light and airy, even after the chunky blueberry sauce is poured over top. I chill the topping and filling separately, and then assemble quickly after at least eight hours in the refrigerator, up to overnight. The results are a magnificent pie that’s fruity and creamy, that’s not too sweet with a crumbly salted crust.
1 pound blueberries, washed
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
3 cups pretzels, any variety
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
6 tablespoons melted butter
1 pint heavy cream
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons lemon zest
- In a saucepan, add blueberries, sugar and 1/2 cup water. Place over medium heat and cook for 4 minutes. When boiling, smash some of the berries (leaving some whole) with a potato masher or fork.
- Combine cornstarch and water in a bowl, whisk. Add to blueberries and stir. Cook mixture for 2 minutes until slightly thickened. Pour into a bowl and let cool 30 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap on surface and refrigerate for at least 8 hours, before pouring onto pie.
- In a food processor, add pretzels, sugar and butter, whiz until coarse crumbs. Press into pie pan and freeze, while you prepare filling.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, whip cream until medium peaks. Add cream cheese and mix on low until combined, about 2 minutes. Add sugar slowly until combined, about 1 minute then, add lemon zest and mix 1 minute. Remove bowl and spoon into cold pie crust. Smooth out on top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours, up to overnight.
- Assemble pie by pouring blueberry topping over cream pie, spread out evenly. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to Enjoy!