When it comes to desserts, why settle for just one? I’m not saying you should eat multiple desserts at the same time, but instead, combine two favorite treats into one. Oatmeal Cookies are a classic with their chewy texture and essence of cinnamon. They make a great base for pies, tarts and especially bar cookies because the oats are hardy enough to hold any filling into place, and they also add complimentary flavors.
Lemon Bars are one quick and easy sweet that are made with mostly pantry items. Sweetened Condensed Milk with some lemon juice and zest is all the ingredients you need to make a good lemon filling. Sometimes eggs are added if making a lemon meringue pie, but were making a lemon bar filling, so none are needed.
These bars are fast and furious because of their cooking time and taste. I think you’ll appreciate the entire textural experience – chewy crust, luscious filling with essence of lemon and cinnamon. Does life get any better than this?
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup quick oats
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon
pinch of salt
(Makes 12 Bars)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and line 8 x 8 pan with parchment, allowing edges to hang over sides.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar for 4 minutes. Add egg and mix for 1 minute.
- Add flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt, mix on low for 1 minute. Add oats and mix for 30 seconds. Spoon dough into prepared pan and press down evenly forming a crust. Bake for 12 minutes in oven.
- While crust is baking, stir together condensed milk, lemon juice, zest and salt in a bowl. Remove pan from oven and pour filling over crust. Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes, just until set, but now brown.
- Remove bars from oven and cool to room temperature. Place in refrigerator to chill before slicing. Enjoy!