I’m all about leftovers and to let everyone know, I have been trying to pitch a cookbook idea of mine based on leftovers for several years now. I wrote my proposal and submitted it before Covid 19 hit, and I still haven’t had any takers on the idea. I’m not giving up because I think it’s a cookbook that hasn’t been done, and what makes mine different is that the recipes are made from things you may have already on hand like a half a roast, some chicken, or a handful or two of various vegetables — you don’t have to make a first recipe, before you create a second meal out of it. Any takers??
This recipe is exactly that – made from leftovers. I grilled a large tri-tip for three of us the other night (we had a guest over) and I had half of it leftover. So, I created this recipe for Instant Pot Tri-Tip Tacos and I must say… they are fabulous. I think I like them better than the original tri-tip because they are so darn tender and filled with Mexican flavors. The meat just shreds into pieces, which is super easy to fill tortillas of any kind. The chipotle lime sour cream is a quick mix of just that – sour cream, a chipotle chili and juice of half a lime. It’s dinner in minutes that will make life so much tastier and worth every bite. If you don’t have leftover tri-tip, any kind of cooked beef or pork will work, just cut it into big slices or chunks and begin.
1 pound cooked tri-tip, steak or roast beef, sliced
1 white onion, sliced
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 jalapeno pepper
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 cup chicken broth
8 corn or flour tortillas, taco size
1/2 cup light sour cream
1 chipotle chili, minced
1 lime, cut in half
fresh cilantro leaves
shredded lettuce, any variety
oil for cooking
- In an Instant Pot, add 1 teaspoon oil and onion. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add onion powder, chili powder and salt, stir.
- Add jalapeno slices and stir. Add tomato paste and broth, stir. Turn off heat. Add sliced cooked beef and seal with lid.
- Cook for 20 minutes on high pressure and let release naturally. Shred meat with two forks.
- Toast tortillas over open flame or under broiler. In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, chipotle chili and juice of 1/2 lime.
- Spoon filling into tortillas and top with sour cream mixture, fresh cilantro leaves and shredded lettuce. Serve with remaining lime wedges. Enjoy!