It doesn’t have to be Tuesday to enjoy delicious Chipotle Beef Tacos with Chunky Avocado Sauce.
I crave tacos, it doesn’t matter what day it is. I remember in May having the some of the most amazing tacos at Suerte in Austin, Texas. They were smoky brisket tacos that I’m sure took more than a day to prepare, and I can’t seem to get them off my mind. So, I created a much easier version with some of those same flavors. These tacos are made with skirt steak that is steamed under pressure with chipotle chilies until it is so tender, you hardly need to chew. The ingredients are simple, yet the flavors are more than delicious, they’re insanely good.
The chunky avocado sauce is not quite guacamole because I didn’t add any jalapeno or tomatoes. The subtle spice comes from the meat, so the avocado sauce provides the right amount of coolness in every bite. I made them street tacos — bite sized fun, so you may need to double up on the tortillas because three may just not be enough for one person.
1 pound skirt steak, sliced into 1-inch pieces
1/2 red onion, diced
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoon ground cumin
2-3 chipotle chilies in adobo
2 tablespoon tomato paste
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
1 dozen street size tortillas, corn or flour
oil for cooking
1 avocado, sliced and seeded
juice of 1/2 lime
big pinch of salt and pepper
- In an electric pressure cooker, add 2 tablespoon oil and onion. Sauté for 2 minutes and add salt, pepper and cumin, stir.
- Add beef and stir. Add chipotles, tomato paste and 2/3 cup water, stir. Cook on high for 30 minutes. Release steam and ladle into a big bowl for serving.
- While the beef cooks, add avocado to a bowl, along with juice of 1/2 lime, salt and pepper. Stir with fork until chunky smooth.
- Toast tortillas over open flame on stove top and place on plates.
- Top tortillas with big scoop of beef, dollop of avocado sauce and a few cilantro leaves. Serve immediately. Enjoy!