Caprese Salad is a combination of fresh tomatoes and mozzarella with torn basil leaves and a touch of olive oil. During the summer months, this salad is definitely quite popular, but why wait for summer? You can have the same fresh tasting dish, but with a twist, pan seared chicken.
I love the flavor combination of tomatoes, mozzarella and chicken, but using fresh winter tomatoes can sometimes be flavorless — not in this recipe. The steam from the pan gently adds tenderness and heightens the tomato’s flavor, which is more reminiscent of summertime tomatoes. and the simple pan sauce, created by adding a splash of white wine to the pan drippings, adds a light richness. You definitely want to add this meal to your weeknight repertoire, it’s quick and delicious.
2 medium tomatoes, any variety
1 ball fresh burrata or mozzarella
4-6 fresh basil leaves
4 boneless, skin-on chicken breasts, organic preferably
1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
1. Wash and slice the tomatoes thinly. Slice the burrata and fresh basil leaves, set aside.
2. Remove the chicken breasts from any packaging and sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.
3. In a skillet, add 3 tablespoons of olive oil and place over medium heat. Let the skillet heat up for 2 minutes before adding the chicken, skin side down to the pan. Cover the chicken with a lid slightly cracked and cook for 4 minutes.
4. Remove the lid and flip the chicken over. Continue to cook the chicken for 5 more minutes, with the lid, slightly cracked over the pan.
5. Remove the lid and place the sliced burrata on each piece of chicken. Then, add the sliced tomatoes on top of the cheese.
6. Next, add the wine to the pan and cover again with the lid, slightly cracked. Allow the tomatoes and cheese to steam for 3 minutes and remove the lid. The cheese will drip slightly into the pan sauce, creating a creamy texture. If your chicken breasts are super thick, you may need to steam a little longer to completely cook. Sprinkle the chicken with the fresh basil.
7. Place a piece of chicken on each plate and spoon some sauce over the top. Serve the chicken with roasted broccoli or other vegetables. Enjoy!
[…] Easy Caprese Chicken Recipe! Delicious Weeknight Dinners! […]