Beef Stroganoff is a rustic dish with Russian roots prepared with chunks of beef, mushrooms and herbs. Traditionally, it’s cooked on the stove top in a broth and sour cream is added at the end of cooking to create a creamy rich, but not overly heavy sauce, and served over steamy hot noodles. However in my simple recipe, all the ingredients are cooked together in one pot.
The Instant Pot is a great vessel to shorten the amount of cooking time to create a classic stroganoff. The chunks of beef becomes as tender as fillet mignon, while still maintaining a toothsome chew, and the aromatic mushrooms follow suit, and soften beautifully in the cooking process.
Once cooking is complete, a big dollop of sour cream is stirred into the mix to thicken the sauce, making this one lovely savory experience. I enjoy the fact that you don’t need a separate pan to boil the pasta to complete the dish. It’s truly a pot of simplistic food that tastes like it took hours to make.
1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat
1 white onion
4 cups sliced mushrooms – crimini, button or baby portobello
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 quart beef broth
3 1/2 cups dried egg noodles
1 bay leaf
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
salt & pepper
- Dice onion and slice mushrooms, set aside. Add 2 tablespoon oil to Instant Pot and press Sauté.
- Salt and pepper beef and add it in batches to pot. Brown on all sides, place in bowl and set aside.
- Add mushroom and onions and sauté for 3 minutes. Add flour and stir to combine, cook for 1 minute.
- Add mustard and stir. Pour in broth and add bay leaf, thyme sprigs, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and browned beef, stir.
- Place lid on top and Press Manual or Meat and cook for 30 minutes. Release pressure manually and remove lid. Add noodles and stir. Place lid back on and Press Manual or Meat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Let pressure release naturally for 2 minutes, then manually remove pressure and lid. Add sour cream to a bowl and add 1/4 cup beef broth from pot to bowl, whisk. Pour mixture into pot and stir into sauce.
- Ladle Stroganoff into bowls and top with fresh parsley. Enjoy!