Caprese is a tomato mozzarella combination that is so light and fresh that I crave it most times of the year. However, guacamole is another huge favorite of mine, so I thought, “Why not combine the two flavors and create a fun fresh dip?” Charring tomatoes is a simple task and it releases the sweetness of the fruit, which adds a bigger tomato taste. I think you will love this Charred Tomato Caprese Guacamole and the Oregano Tortilla Chips are just another level of yum!
Preparing this dip is relatively simple with the usual guacamole ingredients, except substituting basil for fresh cilantro and of course – adding those lovely charred tomatoes and little fresh mozzarella balls. The chips are made on the stovetop in a little sunflower oil with a sprinkling of oregano salt. This dip is a real crowd pleaser and makes a fun summer party appetizer.
2/3 cup cherry tomatoes
2 avocados, peeled and seeded
1 scallions, cleaned
1 jalapeno pepper
1/2 cup fresh mini mozzarella balls
5 fresh basil leaves + more for top
1/3 cup sunflower oil + 2 tablespoons
5 fresh corn tortillas
2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1. In a small cast iron skillet, add 2 tablespoons sunflower oil and place over medium-high heat. Then, add the tomatoes and cook until charred, about 4 minutes. Remove from the pan and place in a bowl to cool, while making the guacamole.
2. In a large bowl, add the avocados. Finely chop the white parts of the scallion, jalapeno pepper and fresh basil leaves, add it to the avocados. Squeeze in the juice of 1/2 lime and add 1/2 teaspoon salt, stir to combine.
3. With a large spoon, break up the avocados and stir the mixture until creamy. Cut the mini balls of mozzarella in half.
4. In a skillet, add the 1/3 cup sunflower oil and place over medium-high heat. Cut the tortillas into quarters. When the oil is hot, add the tortillas in batches. Cook the chips until golden brown, about 1 minute per side.
5. Remove the chips from the pan and place on a paper towel lined plate. Mix together 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon dried oregano. Sprinkle the oregano salt over the warm chips.
6. Spoon the guacamole into a serving bowl and dollop the mozzarella balls and charred tomatoes on top. Serve with the Oregano Tortilla Chips. Enjoy!