Hot, sweet, salty and crisp — Hot Honey Watermelon Salad with Feta is the way to kick this season into summertime.
Sorry there hasn’t been several days of blog posts, but I have been in the process of changing servers and what a task it’s been. I’m a cook, not a techy and the process went on for days and it may not still be over yet. I’m ready to talk about food, not c-panels. This salad is so yummy with a bit of heat and I love the idea of drizzling hot honey over a cold and refreshing salad. The contrast is brilliant and adds so much personality to a summer salad.
I dressed the greens with a squeeze of orange for a bright flavor and seasoned with salt and pepper and a splash of olive oil, before the pink cubes of watermelon and soft cheese were crumbled over top. The finishing touch of hot honey takes this salad into overdrive and makes it pop with sweet-heat. If you have some who can’t handle the heat, serve the hot honey on the side. It’s a great dish to start a meal or serve it as an appetizer on small plates with cocktails or wine.
1/2 small watermelon
5 cups arugula-spinach mix
1/2 an orange
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 ounces feta cheese
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon hot sauce
dash of red pepper flakes
- Slice watermelon in half and remove skin around edges with a large chef’s knife.
- Slice watermelon horizontally and vertically to create cubes (watch video). Set aside.
- Add greens to a large bowl, squeeze orange over top and season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle top with olive oil and toss with fingertips. Add cubed watermelon and crumble feta over top.
- Stir together Hot Honey ingredients in a small bowl and drizzle over salad. Serve immediately. Enjoy!