Crunchy chicken breasts with summer sweet tomatoes and herbaceous basil — a delicious dinner in minutes.
During the summertime, good ingredients like fresh produce really speak for themselves. Fresh tomatoes and basil are abundant right now, and what’s so lovely about them both is that you really don’t need to do much to them at mealtime, except appreciate their natural aroma and taste. Crispy panko chicken quickly browned in a pan and ladled with marinated tomatoes and fresh torn basil is a plate of summer magnificence. Simply cooking with seasonal food — that’s it.
Panko breadcrumbs can be found in most grocery stores – gluten-free varieties as well. The coarse crumbs coat boneless chickenless chicken breasts with ease, and a tip of mine is to slice the chicken horizontally in half, so the meat is a thinner cut, no need for pounding. The chicken comes out crispy golden brown with the right tenderness inside because it’s not too thin. The tomatoes and basil are marinated quickly by soaking up some good balsamic vinegar and olive oil in a bowl. Spoon them over the crunchy golden chicken — dinner is served.
2 boneless chickenless chicken breasts – about 1 pound total
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 large egg
4 medium tomatoes
2 tablespoons good balsamic vinegar
1/2 clove garlic, minced
6 sprigs fresh basil
salt & pepper
- Slice chicken breasts in half horizontally and set aside.
- In one bowl – add panko, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, stir. Second bowl – whisk egg with 1 tablespoon water. Set aside.
- Dip chicken in egg and then panko. Place on a plate and repeat until all chicken is coated.
- In a large skillet, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and place over medium-high heat. After 2 minutes add chicken. Cook first side for 4 minutes, flip and reduce heat to medium-low. Continue to cook second side for 4-5 minutes.
- While chicken is finishing cooking, slice tomatoes and add balsamic vinegar, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Drizzle in 1/4 cup olive oil and a pinch of salt. Toss to coat tomatoes.
- Plate chicken and spoon tomatoes over top. Tear fresh basil over tomatoes. Enjoy!