On certain days, I look to some quality pre-made additions to keep things quick and easy in the kitchen and this recipe for Cheese Ravioli with Shrimp in Pink Sauce is fantastically tasty. Fresh or frozen ravioli are a godsend when craving an Italian meal with some pizzazz in minutes. I have found that there are many artisanal brands that make a pretty good product and taste homemade. There are several grocery store brands that are great too, so shop where you know best to choose a cheese ravioli.
Pairing a cheese filled ravioli with shrimp and tossing it in a tomato sauce that has a touch of cream is a tad indulgent, but worth every bite. I love the colors in the pan and the creaminess pops with the ricotta filled ravioli. Cooked frozen shrimp are another secret weapon in this recipe because it can cut down on cooking time, when quickly poached in a sauce. The pink sauce is made with tomatoes and tomato paste, and a splash of white wine. You can always use vegetable broth or water instead.
I just love the luxurious texture of these saucy ravioli and big bites of shrimp — it reminds me of dining out in my favorite neighborhood trattoria. I paired this meal with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc because its acidity gives a nice contrast to the richness, but a Vermentino would work beautifully too.
12 ounces cheese filled ravioli
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
14 ounces roasted diced tomatoes
3 tablespoon tomato paste
pinch or red pepper flakes
1/2 cup white wine of whatever you’re drinking
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 pound cooked large shrimp, frozen
fresh oregano sprigs
salt & pepper
olive oil for cooking
- Boil ravioli in salted water for 5 minutes, or until al dente. Drain and reserve.
- In a large skillet, add 2 teaspoons olive oil, onions and garlic. Cook over medium heat for 4 minutes, stir.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste, cook for 1 minute while stirring. Add red pepper flakes and wine, stir to incorporate into a sauce. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add cream and stir. Add shrimp and poached for 3 minutes, with lid covering pan. Remove lid, and add raviolis into pan, and toss to coat in sauce.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with oregano leaves before serving. Enjoy!