I just love a good potato right out of the oven and these Crispy Parmesan New Potatoes with Basil Mayonnaise are next level. The potatoes bake on a bed of shredded parmesan until soft in the center and the cheese becomes crispy underneath the potato. The outcome is so excellent that you will become a sudden potato lover, and wait until you taste the homemade basil mayonnaise for dipping.
Small new potatoes sliced in half and positioned on top of a tablespoon of shredded parmesan and roasted in a hot oven until soft enough to pierce with a fork is what you are aiming for. The cheese gently melts and becomes crunchy on the bottom of the potatoes, while the top stays soft and tender. A quick puree of a couple egg yoks, lemon juice and a pinch of salt and you’re on your way to fresh and fabulous mayonnaise. I used my emersion blender to make the mayo in a cup (you can always use a food processor) and when you add in a few basil leaves at the end, and continue to whirl, it turns a light green with incredible herbaceous notes.
These potatoes are great as a snack, appetizer, side dish, and served for brunch with other fun breakfast foods. I think they pair nicely with a glass of champagne or chardonnay for a refreshing finish.
1 pound small new potatoes, sliced in half
1/2 cup fresh shredded parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
olive oil for drizzling
2 egg yolks
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup neutral oil – vegetable, sunflower, etc.
2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Place halved potatoes in microwave safe bowl with 1/3 cup water and cover with plastic wrap. Cook on high for 4 minutes. Remove and drain water.
- Add 1 tablespoon of parmesan in circles on baking sheet. Place a halved potato, cut side down on top of parmesan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Repeat until all potatoes are on baking sheet. Drizzle tops of potatoes with olive oil.
- Place in oven to bake for 20-25 minutes, or until you can insert a knife easily.
- While potatoes are cooking, add egg yolks to a bowl or place in food processor. Add lemon juice and puree with emersion blender or blade until combined. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and puree for 30 seconds. While blender is running, drizzle in oil slowly. Mixture will become thick. Add basil and continue to puree until combined. Place in serving bowl.
- Remove potatoes from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before placing on a serving dish. Serve with basil mayo and Enjoy!