Asparagus are those deep greenish stalks with a unique flavor profile and a fibrous bite that can be prepared in so many ways. I enjoy asparagus roasted on a sheet pan along with some Teriyaki Skirt Steak, or blanched and tossed into a salad like in my Asparagus, Fava Bean & Egg, or they’re delicious folded into a breakfast ensemble like in this recipe for Chicken, Asparagus and Potato Hash. Pasta night always seems to make people happy and when I think of linguine, it always reminds me of the movie Lady and the Tramp. Those two dogs sitting side by side, while sharing a long linguine noodle, always brings a smile to my face, and so will this simple pasta dish with asparagus and mushrooms.
Creamy cheesy linguine is a family favorite and it’s even more delightful when tossed with fresh vegetables. Asparagus and mushrooms tossed into pasta create a succinct vegetarian medley that doesn’t require much else. In this recipe, I use Arrowroot as a thickener, so I can add low-fat milk and half & half, and still create a rich and creamy sauce without using heavy cream. The lightened-up sauce thickens nicely without weighing down the pasta and vegetables, while still coating the linguine beautifully, similar to a glaze on a muffin. Linguine makes a delightful easy meal and this recipe provides a big portion, so leftovers might even be a possibility for lunchtime the next day.
1 pound linguine pasta
1 pound mushrooms, any variety
1 small white onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into thirds
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 tablespoons Arrowroot powder, sold in spices aisle
1 cup low-fat milk
1 cup half & half
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
salt & pepper
- Boil linguine in salted water for 10 minutes, reserving 1 cup pasta water.
- In a large saute pan, add 1 tablespoon oil, onions, garlic and mushrooms. Saute over medium heat for 4 minutes and add asparagus, onion powder, garlic powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Stir to combine and place lid on top of pan for 3 minutes to steam asparagus. Remove lid and stir.
- Sprinkle Arrowroot over top of vegetable and stir. Cook for 1 minute. Make a well in center of vegetables and add milk and half & half.
- Fold cream mixture with vegetable and cook until it begins to thicken, about 3 minutes. Add two-thirds of Parmesan cheese and stir.
- Add linguine to skillet and toss with creamy sauce. If too thick, thin with a little pasta water. Pour pasta into large serving dish and top with remaining Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!