I think most of us are always up for a chocolate chip cookie, and these Chocolate Chunk Pretzel Cookies are a whole new level. There’s something quite delightful about the combination of salty and sweet and these cookies have all of that, and so much more.
My chocolate chip cookie recipe hasn’t changed much over the years because I spent a lot of time perfecting it back then, but this cookie recipe has pretzels and chocolate chunks inside, which add amazing texture. I love the combination of pretzels with chocolate because they compliment each other and create a nice balance of taste, and when they are surrounded in buttery cookie dough and baked — even more delicious. After baking, I press the cookies gently with my spatula, while they are still hot on the sheet pan. This allows the chunks of melted chocolate to push through the surface of the cookie and burst into a puddle of yum. I think these cookies require a glass of milk, but that’s just me.
1 3/4 cups butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 egg + 1 yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chunks
1 cup pretzel pieces
(Makes 18 Cookies)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line sheet pan with parchment.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars for 3 minutes. Scrape down sides.
- Add egg and yolk and mix on high for 2 minutes. Add vanilla and mix 1 minute.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt, mix on low for 1 minute. Add chocolate chunks and pretzels and mix on low for 30 seconds.
- Stir by hand to incorporate completely. Scoop into balls, about 2 tablespoons each. Freeze balls of dough for 10 minutes (or freeze overnight and bake).
- Bake for 13 minutes or until golden brown, yet slightly soft on top. Remove and press down with spatula gently. Let cool completely on sheet pan. Enjoy!