If you’re a cake person like me, and you crave a chocolaty sweet treat these Chocolate-Berry Snack Cakes are an easy way to get your fix. Snack cakes are almost like muffins, except they tend to have a more tender crumb, and can be dusted with powdered sugar, or drizzled with glaze for a sweeter treat. I’m in the Valentine’s Day spirit and used my heart-shaped mini-cake pans for this dessert, but you can always use a regular muffin pan, or a 1-scoop (ice cream) measure for any shape pan to bake these chocolate delights.
Chocolate on Valentine’s Day is always the flavor people crave. What brings these cakes such delicious chocolaty flavor is dark cocoa powder. I would recommend one that looks deep, and rich with an aroma that will make you smile.
The chocolate is intense in these treats, and I folded in frozen mixed berries to add an additional note of natural sweetness. They’re delicate, but not too soft to hold a scoop of ice cream on top, which would add another layer altogether. I like to serve them dusted with powdered sugar, and some additional berries on the side, but you can do whatever you fancy, and serve them as snacks, special mini-desserts, or give them to your neighbors as a sweet surprise.
10 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups dark chocolate, chopped
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup half & half
1 1/2 cups frozen berries, any variety
powdered sugar for dusting
more fresh berries for serving, optional
(Makes 18 Mini Cakes)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray, or grease and flour pans (I used Baker’s spray), set aside.
- In a large microwave safe measuring bowl, add butter and dark chocolate. Microwave 1 minute, stir. Repeat and stir. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugars, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in center and add eggs, vanilla and half & half, whisk for 1 minute. Add melted chocolate mixture and continue to mix by hand until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add frozen berries and fold into batter gently. Dollop one ice cream scoop into each cup and smooth out on top. Bake in oven for 22-24 minutes, or until slightly firm to touch. Remove and let cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Loosen with knife around edges and invert on wire rack. Flip right side up to cool completely.
- Dust tops with powdered sugar and serve with additional berries and ice cream, if desired. Enjoy!