It’s a great night for a warm and comforting meal and my Instant Pot Berbere Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew is so tasty and easy to prepare.
Let’s start with Berbere, an Ethopian spice mix that I mispronounce most of the time, and has lovely earthy flavors which brighten stew, and creates the most delicious flavors. It’s a combination of multiple spices like coriander, cumin, cardamom and fenugreek, plus a host of others dried herbs. You can make your own, but I recommend finding a good blend already prepared in your local grocery store. It has gotten so popular that it’s not hard to find.
The combination of chicken and sweet potatoes with Berbere create a stew that’s memorable and will probably become a dish you will make many times during the remaining winter months. I like to serve it over steamed rice because the sauce is so enjoyable that you want to capture each and every drop. It’s a rustic recipe that feeds a family or group of friends with ease, and a good glass of red wine, like a pinot noir compliments it’s flavor profile.
1 white onion, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Berbere
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
14 ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 cup warm water
1 1/4 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
olive oil for cooking
- In electric pressure cooker, add 1 tablespoon olive and onions. Saute for 3 minutes. Add celery and garlic, stir.
- In a small bowl, combined berbere, salt and pepper, stir. Add to vegetables and stir. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add sweet potatoes, tomatoes and water, stir. Nestle chicken thighs into sauce and place lid on top.
- Cook for 35 minutes on high and allow steam to release naturally.
- Remove lid and stir. Ladle into bowls. Enjoy!