Pot Pie is one of the most comforting foods that you probably don’t prepare that often due to the longer process of creating a dough for crust, and a rich and delicious filling. However, using store-bought ingredients to skip some steps and strip this recipe down to familiar basics will hopefully inspire you to get into the kitchen and make one. A skillet meal during the week is a saving grace for many families, and this Chicken and Spinach Pot Pie will definitely fall into that category of weeknight meals – easy, tasty and quick cooking.
Store-bought puff pastry can be purchased in the frozen foods section of most every grocery store and makes a great crust for the top of the filling. It defrosts in minutes on top of the counter, while you prepare the filling, which makes this recipe even more time saving. No double-crust needed here because this rich and buttery dough puffs up like magic into one tasteful shell that becomes the crown on top of the pie.
A rotisserie chicken, or leftover roast chicken, shredded from the bone will be another time-saving ingredient that shouldn’t be overlooked when the families hungry. The rest of the filling is a simple mixture of vegetables – carrots, celery and onion – that you probably already have in your refrigerator, or can be picked up along with the chicken. Baby spinach and fresh, or frozen peas add a deep green hue, and a gentle sweetness that highlights springtime. The entire skillet can be done in less than 35 minutes, and served directly from the skillet. The vegetables are already included, so there’s no need for a side salad. I just love a comforting weeknight skillet meal.
1 sheet puff pastry, defrosted
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
1 leek or small white onion, sliced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken stock
3 cups baby spinach
2 cups cooked shredded chicken
1/2 cup peas, fresh or frozen (no need to defrost)
2 tablespoons heavy cream, for top
salt & pepper
olive oil for cooking
- Remove puff pastry from freezer and packaging. Let defrost on counter, while making filling.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a 9-inch oven-safe skillet and place over medium heat. Add celery, carrots and leeks and stir. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, stir. Add flour and stir, cook for 2 minutes. Add broth and stir to combine to slightly thicken, about 1 minute.
- Add spinach and stir to wilt leaves slightly, about 2 minutes. Add chicken and peas, stir to combine. Remove skillet from heat.
- Place puff pastry sheet over top of filling, attach dough at four corners to sides of skillet (it doesn’t need to cover entire skillet). Brush dough with heavy cream.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes until deep golden brown. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!