My Chicken and Spinach Skillet Pot Pie is one of the most comforting meals and using store-bought ingredients to make life simpler, strips this recipe down to familiar basics, and will hopefully inspire you to get into the kitchen.
Store-bought puff pastry can be purchased in the frozen foods section of most every grocery store and makes a great crust for a pot pie. It defrosts in minutes on top of the counter, while you prepare the filling. No double-crust needed here because this rich dough puffs like magic into one buttery shell that becomes the crown on top of this skillet pie.
A rotisserie chicken, or leftover roast chicken, shredded from the bone, will be another time-saving ingredient that shouldn’t be overlooked when your family is hungry. The rest of the filling is a simple mixture of vegetables – carrots, celery and onion – that you probably already have in your refrigerator, or can be picked up along with the chicken. Baby spinach and fresh or frozen peas add a deep green hue, and a gentle sweetness that highlights the chicken. The entire skillet can be done in less than 35 minutes, and served directly from the skillet.
1 sheet puff pastry, defrosted
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
1 leek or small white onion, sliced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken stock
3 cups baby spinach
2 cups cooked shredded chicken
1/2 cup peas, fresh or frozen (no need to defrost)
2 tablespoons heavy cream, for top
salt & pepper
olive oil for cooking
- Remove puff pastry from freezer and packaging. Let defrost on counter, while making filling.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a 9-inch oven-safe skillet and place over medium heat. Add celery, carrots and leeks and stir. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, stir. Add flour and stir, cook for 2 minutes. Add broth and stir to combine to slightly thicken, about 1 minute.
- Add spinach and stir to wilt leaves slightly, about 2 minutes. Add chicken and peas, stir to combine. Remove skillet from heat.
- Place puff pastry sheet over top of filling, attach dough at four corners to sides of skillet (it doesn’t need to cover entire skillet). Brush dough with heavy cream.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes until deep golden brown. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!