Cheesy Beef and Mushroom Bites are a delicious snack or nibble with mocktails or cocktails. These mini crusts are made with store-bought puff pastry and filled with sauteed mushrooms, and ground beef as well as a big spoonful of sour cream, and a handful of Gruyere cheese which completes the filling, and become a mouthwatering appetizer.
The combination of flavors will remind you of a mini plate of Swedish Meatballs and can be enjoyed on any occasion. These bites are also great with a glass of full bodied red wine or crisp white. They reheat in the oven beautifully, if you want to make them ahead of time, and are so easy to put together for drop-in guests on a Friday or Saturday night. They also could be served as an amuse bouche before a larger meal or as a passed appetizer for a more formal party. You can substitute turkey or chicken, if beef is not an option for you.
1 sheet of puff pastry
1 small white onion
2 cups Button or Cremini mushrooms, roughly chopped
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2/3 cup sour cream
2 1/2 cups Gruyere cheese, grated
salt & pepper
1/4 cup fresh parsley, optional
(Makes 24 Bites)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large sauté pan, add 2 teaspoons oil, onion and mushrooms. Sauté for 3 minutes and add ground beef. Cook mixture until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add onion powder, allspice, nutmeg, flour, 2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, stir to combine. Turn off heat.
- Add sour cream and 2 cups Gruyere cheese, stir until creamy.
- Remove puff pastry from packaging and cut into 2 x 2 inch squares. Gently press each piece into greased mini-cupcake pan.
- Spoon filling into each cup until it reaches the top of pastry, about 1 heaping tablespoon. Top with remaining cheese. Place pan in freezer for 8 minutes to set up.
- Bake in oven for 15-18 minutes, or until edges of pastry are golden brown. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
- Sprinkle tops with parsley and serve. Enjoy!