There isn’t anything better than a super fudgy brown butter cookie. These cookies are remarkably delightful and taste like you’re biting into a brownie, but with a little more buttery elegance. The tops of these cookies crackle gently as they bake, while the interior stays chocolaty rich. Brown butter poured over chocolate chips melted into a glossy syrup and dark cocoa powder are the major contributors to this obscene darkness, while a combination of light brown sugar and granulated sugar sweeten the indulgence.
Brown butter has a caramelized flavor that’s slight in taste, but if you really pay attention – it’s noticeable. However, the focus here is on the chocolate – profound intense chocolate — that’s what I’m talking about. These cookies are truly an amazing treat – I make no excuses.
1 cup dark chocolate chips
2 tablespoons warm water
2 teaspoons vanilla
8 tablespoons salted butter
2 large eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
1 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoons instant espresso powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
(Makes 1 Dozen Cookies)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two sheet pans with parchment or silpat.
- In a large bowl, add chocolate chips, water and vanilla.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter until deep golden brown on bottom with golden foam, about 4 minutes. Pour over chocolate chips and stir until smooth.
- Whisk together dry ingredients – flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, espresso powder and salt, set aside.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, cream together eggs and sugars for 3 minutes, scrape down sides of bowl. Mix on high speed until light in color, 4 minutes. Add melted chocolate mixture and mix until combined, about 1 minute.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the chocolate mixture by hand until dough comes together. Scoop onto sheet pans with ice cream scoop, about 6 to a tray.
- Bake on middle and upper racks for 9 minutes, remove and let cool on pan. Store in cookie jar. Enjoy!