Braising is a simple process of cooking meat in a liquid at a moderate temperature without submerging it completely. This technique allows meat like chicken; to retain moisture and tenderize into succulent perfection. While braising meat alone is always a nice option, adding vegetables to the party not only enhances the flavors of the broth, but offers a one-skillet meal in a short amount of time.
Chicken and artichokes are a seasonal preparation and when you can get frozen artichokes, even better for a sensationally speedy meal. Chicken thighs are always my cut of choice because they cook up into compact purses of poultry that are not only juicy, but absorb the flavors around them.
This entire dish can be made within 20 minutes start to finish, especially if you take advantage of the frozen artichokes tip. This recipe is just one of those meals you can cook up all year long because the flavors are familiar, yet divine.
5-6 chicken thighs, skin-on & bone-in
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 small white onion, sliced
10 ounces frozen artichokes, defrosted & drained or fresh baby artichokes peeled
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1. Remove chicken from packaging and sprinkle with salt, pepper and oregano on both sides.
2. In a large iron skillet over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil. After 2 minutes, add chicken skin-side down and cook for 3 minutes.
3. Flip chicken over and add onion around edges of chicken. Continue to cook for 4 minutes.
4. Stir onions and add artichokes. Pour broth over top of chicken and turn heat of medium-low. Cover skillet with lid. Continue to cook for 10 minutes.
5. Remove lid and increase heat to medium-high, allow broth to reduce for 2 minutes. Dust with parmesan cheese and serve. Enjoy!