Have you ever made a cake with a meringue baked right on top of the batter? Well, it’s Saturday and another beautiful day for baking, and it’s time to put on your apron, and give this baked raspberry meringue cream cake a whirl. The vanilla based cake is layer with raspberry meringue, and after it’s baked — looks golden-tan colored on top, but pink hued underneath. This cake is then topped with whipped cream, fresh raspberries and mint for a one-layer treat that’s not only gorgeous, but super luscious to eat this weekend.
The rustic nature of this cake makes it that much more fun. It’s prepared in a 13 x 9 inch pan, one you would make brownies or bar cookies. A simple cream cake is spread on the bottom of the pan, then freeze dried raspberries are folded into fluffy whipped egg whites and sugar for a marshmallow consistency, that turns crunchy on top and chewy on the bottom after baking. Whipped cream is quickly whirled together and spread on top of the meringue and then dotted with ruby-toned berries and herbaceous mint for a refreshing finish. Serve it immediately, I bet you can’t wait — or store in the refrigerator for a couple of hours, before serving.
2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 3/4 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup low-fat yogurt or sour cream
2/3 cup freeze dried raspberries
4 large egg whites, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 pint fresh raspberries
3 sprigs fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray or oil 13 x 9 inch pan and line with parchment paper, allowing edges to hang over sides.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, cream butter and sugar for 3 minutes. Add vanilla and mix for 1 minute. Add eggs one at a time, until all are incorporated into batter.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and add to batter in three additions, alternating with yogurt. Remove bowl from stand and spoon into prepared pan, smooth out on top.
- Pulverize freeze dried raspberries in food processor, set aside. Whip egg whites on high speed until frothy and add cream of tarter. Continue to whip and turn speed down, while adding sugar. Whip until thick and glossy, about 3 minutes.
- Fold pulverized raspberries powder into egg whites by hand. Spoon raspberry meringue over batter of cake, leaving a 1-inch border. Bake in oven for 22-24 minutes — do not over bake (test with toothpick).
- Remove and let cool in pan for 10 minutes, before removing. Lift cake out of pan with parchment edges and place on wire rack to cool for 1 hour.
- Whip heavy cream for 1 minute, add sugar and continue to whip until medium peaks. Spread over top of cake and dot with fresh raspberries and mint leaves. Enjoy!