Being born and raised in Southern California, we always had an abundant supply of avocados because of our climate and so, avocados have been a large part of my diet. Avocados are a healthy fat with a richness that is a little more delicate to the waistline, while adding creamy flavor. Traditionally avocados are sliced on salads and sandwiches and many times used in dips and spreads, but avocados are excellent in sauces too.
Avocado and fresh herbs make for a great combination of flavors, especially in guacamole and that’s how I came up with this recipe for Avocado & Cilantro Pesto Bucatini with Seared Salmon. The simple sauce is made on the stovetop and pureed in a blender then, tossed with warm noodles and served with a fresh piece of fish. This recipes is so simple that it makes a perfect weeknight meal or prepare it on the weekend and impress your family and friends for a casual dinner party.
1 clove garlic, peeled
1 jalapeno, sliced with half the seeds removed
8 sprigs of fresh cilantro, washed
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 avocado, peeled and removed from skin
1/2 pound Bucatini pasta, prepared according to the package and drained
2-4 5 ounce fillets of salmon
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, garlic, cilantro and jalapeno. Saute for 1 minute, just until the clove of garlic lightly browns.
2. Pour the cream and chicken broth in the saucepan and stir to combine. Then, add in the avocado and allow the sauce to simmer for 3 minutes, then turn the heat off.
3. Pour the sauce in a blender and puree until smooth. Then, pour the sauce back into the saucepan and place it over low heat, while you cook the salmon fillets.
4. In a saute pan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the salmon to the pan and sear the first side for 4 minutes. Flip the fillets over and turn the heat to medium-low and continue to cook for 8 minutes or until the fillets are done to your liking.
5. Place the cooked Bucatini in the sauce and toss to coat.
6. Then, place a portion of the Avocado & Cilantro Pesto Bucatini on each plate and top with a seared Fillet of Salmon. Garnish with fresh cilantro, enjoy!
[…] Avocado & Cilantro Pesto Bucatini with Seared Salmon – Recipe! […]