Happy Birthday to me! This is one of my favorite recipes – Toasted Coconut Bundt Cake with Chocolate Fudge Glaze. It has essence of coconut and a creamy texture, and oh, it’s coated in a rich chocolate glaze. Bundt cakes have been around forever, and what makes them so darn good is that they’re simple to make, and yet they still taste like they took all day to bake.
Toasting coconut in the oven is a good first step in a coconut cake because it brings out the oils in the coconut as they turn golden brown, creating crispy edges, while still maintaining its flavor integrity. I used almond extract and vanilla extract for a layered aromatic affect, something flaked coconut doesn’t always do on its own. A big splash of coconut milk, added another note of coconut flavor that’s delightful, without making it too heavy.
If I could pick any cake to enjoy on this day — it’s always a coconut cake. It’s so delicious and it will store beautifully in the refrigerator to snack on for days to come.
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
16 tablespoons butter, room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 egg yolk, room temperature
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup coconut milk
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chunks
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon coconut oil
(Makes 1 Bundt)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 10-cup bundt pan. Spoon coconut onto a sheet pan in a single layer and bake for 10-12 minutes, turning every 4 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Cool.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, cream together butter and sugar for 3 minutes. Add eggs and yolk, one at a time, mixing in-between additions. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Add vanilla and almond extract and mix for 1 minute.
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl and add to batter in thirds, alternating with coconut milk. Repeat twice more.
- Add toasted coconut and mix on low for 1 minute. Remove bowl and spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes clean. Let cool for 15 minutes before inverting onto a cake plate or stand.
- For Glaze – In a small microwave bowl, add coconut milk and oil. Heat for 1 minute on high. Add chocolate to bowl and stir until smooth, about 1 minute. When cake is room temperature, spoon glaze over top and let gently roll down sides. Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes to set before slicing. Enjoy!