I love the aromatic flavors of Thai food. Maybe it’s the ginger, or the fish sauce that has such funky flavor, but I really think it’s the whole combination of protein and vegetables that you can enjoy in one bowl that makes this cuisine so fantastic. Creating one marinade that both the chicken and cucumbers can bathe in before arriving on your plate makes mealtime super efficient and so darn satisfying. Just another great reason to make this recipe.
Using boneless skinless chicken breasts that you slice horizontally and smashing hunks of cucumber, until the white pulp bursts from the insides creates a simple start on dinner. The marinade is made in one jar and shook until your arms feels like you we’re lifting light weights at the gym. As the chicken cooks, it caramelizes and takes advantage of all those marinade ingredients, while the cucumbers act like baby sponges and slowly drink it up. I like steamed brown rice in this bowl, but white rice works beautifully too, just don’t skip the rice – you’ll need it to sop up the excess marinade from the cucumbers and the chicken juices.
2 teaspoons grated ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 jalapeno or 1 Thai chili, minced
1/4 cup fish sauce
1/3 cup coconut aminos or soy sauce
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons fresh mint leaves, minced
1 cup brown rice
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 1 pound
3 large Persian cucumbers
1 lime, cut in half
1 tablespoon white sesame seeds, optional
oil for cooking
- Cook brown rice in 2 cups of water for 35-40 minutes.
- In a small jar, add all Marinade ingredients, and shake, shake, shake.
- Add chicken breasts to a casserole dish and pour 2/3 of marinade over top, turn to coat chicken. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Cut cucumbers into 2-inch pieces and smash with side of knife. Pour remaining dressing over top and toss until coated. Set aside.
- In a large iron skillet, add 2 teaspoons oil and place over medium-high heat. After 2 minutes, add chicken and cook on first side for 4-5 minutes. Adjust heat if necessary, do not burn.
- Flip chicken over and continue to cook second side for 5-6 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove and place on plate to rest for 5 minutes. Squeeze juice of 1/2 lime over top. Slice chicken breasts.
- Assemble bowls – add scoop of brown rice, 4-5 slices of chicken and large spoonful of cucumbers. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with remaining lime wedge. Enjoy!
I love you Gena Bell, and your recipes. I just made your Cherry Bourbon Upside Down Cake and took it to my Book Club meeting. Rave Reviews. Thank you for constantly peaking my culinary interests. You are a gem.
Thanks for sharing!